Nani-Foodi Friday is back … and with my most successful dish thus far! Who knew the picky eater was just waiting for a Mexican-inspired dish to dive into? Seriously though– look at this child go!
I created this meal by combining recipes online that you can find here and here and adding a few twists of my own. It was a little more time consuming than the other recipes I’ve posted because I made the enchilada sauce, but I promise it is well worth the extra effort if you’re weary of too much sodium in your babes’ diets. I also added corn tortillas for some crunch and leftover shredded chicken we had from earlier in the week. I’m no professional food blogger, so bear with me here on the ingredients and instructions (and I promise I’ll eventually learn how to create one of those fancy ingredient cards you can print off… baby steps).
Quinoa Enchilada Bake
Yields: 6 servings Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 20 mins
Ingredients for Enchilada Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeds removed and finely minced
- In a sauce pan, heat olive oil and minced garlic for 30 seconds over medium heat . Add flour and whisk for one minute before slowly adding tomato sauce and chicken broth. Then add all dry spices: chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, sugar, onion powder, and dried oregano. Stir in chipotle pepper and 1 tsp of adobo sauce. (**I deseeded the chipotle pepper since I didn’t want the dish to be too spicy for the twins, but you can always add more heat by keeping the seeds.)
- Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened.
Ingredients for the Enchilada Bake:
- 1 lb cooked shredded chicken or cooked ground turkey (optional)
- 3-4 corn tortillas (optional)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 10 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can of chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 roma tomato
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly coat a 8X8 pan with non-stick cooking spray or oil.
- In a large sauce pan, cook quinoa according to package instructions. (2 cups of water for 1 cup quinoa.)
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, enchilada sauce, chiles, black beans, cilantro, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and 1/4 cup mexican blend cheese. Mix together.
- Cut corn tortillas into strips and lay on bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread half of quinoa mix on top of tortillas and then lay another layer of tortilla strips. Spread on remaining quinoa mix and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place in oven and cook until cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with diced avocado and tomato. ENJOY!
I usually find their meals to be a little too bland for my own taste, but this only required some hot sauce (which is required on everything I eat). Corn would have also been a nice addition, but the twins’ mom is not a fan so I left it out. I hope you all think it is just as delicious as we did!!